Wednesday, April 23, 2008

In honor of our earth

Check out earth911 and sign up for weekly green tips, it's really cool. Did anyone do anything special for earth day? I just decided it was past time to get a recycle can, I feel like I should have done that a long time ago. Here is my weekly tip from earth911:

Eighty percent of plastic water bottles go to waste in landfills. That equals 1.2 million barrels of oil thrown away every year. Recycled plastic bottles turn into carpet, jacket lining or even new bottles. Think of that the next time you're at the pump.

4 comments:

Emma said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emma said...

Kudos to you! =) I think its great that you recycle and care enough make the effort. I was reading this article the other day about plastic floating in the ocean that was probably the most shocking thing Ive read in quite some time. Floating plastic 'debris island' is roughly the size of Texas. It's in the North Pacific. http://www.mindfully.org/Plastic/
Ocean/Moore-Trashed-PacificNov03.htm
You can google for more articles about this.

Lis said...

Why would I think of carpet while I'm at the pump?

I need to drop my recycling off, it's taking over my garage.

Rosie said...

Mom that's funny you mentioned that because I just watched a documentry on that specific subject and I would have to agree it was quite shocking and sad. The plastic in that specific area in the pacific outweighs the mass of water, crazy!!